Instructor Training and Certification Program
Read this webpage thoroughly before applying for the Instructor Training.
We provide the Instructor Training and Certification Program for practitioners who are dedicated to advance their Zen practice and have the willingness, enthusiasm, and compassion for carrying on the lineage teaching of None Zen Center.
Instructor Training and Certification Program is part of the disciple training, as the Center’s disciple training is not only for the deed of personal enlightenment but also for serving the purpose of training the Center’s future Zen masters to lead more people to enlightenment. All disciples are required to register for the Instructor Training and Certification Program. Check for the discipleship.
When completing the training and passing the exam, you will be given the Zen Instructor/Assistant certificate and have the opportunity to lead/assist Beginner’s Class and/or Bridging Class in the Center. To ensure the teaching quality, we provide annual instructor training and exam and give certificates with one-year validity. Instructors/assistants are required to take the annual training, pass the exam, and renew certificates annually.
Please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in taking the training or have any questions or inquiries.
For first time candidates –
1. Must be a disciple. If not a disciple yet, must have applied for the discipleship program although some exceptions may apply.
2. Must have been taking Advanced Class continuously for at least 4 months before the annual training starts.
3. Must have been taking Disciple Training Program continuously for at least 3 months before the annual training starts, although some exceptions may apply.
4. Must have attended at least one Annual Zen Retreat held by None Zen Center, although some exceptions may apply.
For renewal candidates –
1. Must be a disciple.
2. Must have been taking Advanced Class and Disciple Training Program continuously for one year before the annual training starts.
3. Must have attended the Annual Zen Retreat held by None Zen Center in the previous year, although some exceptions may apply.
1. Having the right view about Zen and Zen meditation and working on investigating Zen dedicatedly and continually
2. Capable of sharing your Zen meditation experience truthfully
3. Willing to create/maintain/support a Zen learning environment to deliver the linage teaching of None Zen Center
4. Caring about your fellow practitioners and willing to do your best to take care of your fellow practitioners
5. Willing to train yourself hard to lead Beginner’s Zen Class and Bridging Class to accord with the standard teaching materials provided by None Zen Center
For first time candidates, the evaluation will be conducted in the Advanced Class, Disciple Training Program, Instructor Training and Exam, and the interaction with Shifus (Zen Masters) of None Zen Center.
For renewal candidates, the evaluation will be conducted throughout the year.
We provide three levels of certificates. Qualified candidates will be given an Instructor/Assistant Certificate with one-year validity and will be authorized to lead/assistant Beginner’s Class and/or Bridging Class at None Zen Center.
Level 0 Assistant Certificate: assisting Beginner’s Zen Class and Bridging Class
Level 1 Instructor Certificate: leading Bridging Class
Level 2 Instructor Certificate: leading Beginner’s Zen Class and Bridging Class.
Cancellation of Certificate
None Zen Center reserves the right to cancel the Instructor/Assistant Certificate without prior notice.
Registration and Fees
Like all the meditation classes and retreats provided by None Zen Center, the Instructor Training and Certification Program is tuition-free. As a non-profit organization that is run entirely by donations, we sincerely ask you considering a US$500 donation for supporting the program and a tuition-free Zen environment. Any gifts of greater or lesser sums are all appreciated.
When you complete your donation, you will receive a prompt receipt from PayPal. We will provide you with an annual receipt between January 10 to February 20 for the gifts we receive from you the previous year due to the lack of resources. If you need to receive the receipts earlier, please email us at email@example.com.
Annual Training and Exam Schedule
We provide instructor training programs via Zoom when in-person training is unavailable. The annual training typically begins in mid-October for assistants, mid-January or February for Beginner’s Class instructors (Level 2), and mid-March or April for Bridging Class instructors (Level 1). Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for the training calendar.